04 January, 2011

La Notte





"When I awoke this morning, you were still asleep. As I awoke I heard you gentle breathing. I saw you closed eyes beneath wisps of stray hair and I was deeply moved. I wanted to cry out, to wake you, but you slept so deeply, so soundly. In the half light you skin gloved with life so warm and sweet. I wanted to kiss it, but I was afraid to wake you. I was afraid of you awake in my arms again. Instead, I wanted to something no one could take from me, mine alone...this eternal image of you. Beyond your face I saw a pure, beautiful vision showing us in the perspective of my whole life, all the years to come, even all the years past. That was the most miraculous thing: to feel for the first time that you had always been mine, that this night would go on for ever, united with your warmth, your thought, your will. At that moment I realized how much I loved you. I wept with the intensity of the emotion, for I felt that this must never end, we would remain like this all our lives, not only close, but also belonging to each other, in a way that nothing could ever destroy, except the apathy of habit, the only threat. Then you wakened and, smiling, put your arms around me, kissed me, and I felt there was nothing to fear. We would always remain as we were at that moment, bound by stronger ties than time and habit."

finale scene

No comments:

Post a Comment